>> History of Buckingham Park
History of Buckingham Park
Long before first the first foundations of Buckingham Park were laid the fields on which we are built are reputed to be the site of the battle of Aylesbury. Many of the street names in Buckingham Park come from the Battle.
During the English civil war Aylesbury was firmly on the side of parliament but was occupied by a Royalist Garrison under the command of Prince Rupert. On the 1st of November 1642 Prince Rupert rode out of Aylesbury with his troops in order to meet the approaching Royalist forces led by Sir William Balfore and included Green Coats under the command of Colonel Grantham.
The two sides joined battled on in the fields just to the North of Holmans’s bridge over the River Thame. This is the small bridge that crosses the river between Buckingham Park and the Horse and Jockey Pub on the main road (A413)
The battle did not go well for Price Rupert’s men who were forced back across the river towards Aylesbury. However, while attempting to regroup on the outskirts of the town they came under attack from the people of Aylesbury in response to their oppression by Prince Rupert while he was in occupation. The Prince and his men fled to Thame and Aylesbury came under Parliaments control for the remainder of the war.
In 1818 the bones of 247 men were found in a mass grave close to Holmans’ Bridge, on what was to become Buckingham Park, believed to be from the Battle of Aylesbury. At that time the remains were moved to St Mary’s Churchyard in Hardwick.
Whether the Battle of Aylesbury really happened or was Parliamentary Propaganda at the time is disputed. If you would like to know more follow these links;
The Battle of Aylesbury 1642 (English Civil War Battles) by Sarah Griffin available from good book shops and on-line
In more recent times the area was farm land owned by New College Oxford and the Diocese of Oxford before being sold to developers.